Friday, February 1, 2013

Before you quit, remember why you started!

Another interesting statement and applicable to so many areas of life.  For example....the decision you made to go to the gym more often and get fit; going through a difficult period in a long term relationship or marriage; a job you loved, that seemed so perfect at first is now lost its appeal.

This is quite relevant to a situation I currently find myself in.  The longest commitment I've ever made is my marriage...16 years and counting....but I know with lots of other things I tend to become bored quite quickly and if the challenge isn't there I easily loose interest!  This is evident in hobbies I've taken up, the times I've gone on a diet or started at a gym and even years ago deciding to study again.  

It's so easy to become bored, disheartened and disillusioned.  I'm a bit of an idealist - I run through scenarios in my head, I repeat conversations, replay what happened and how much it differed to how I wanted or intended it to play out.  What starts off as a good idea and creates a buzz in me, a passion and true enthusiasm fades into disappointment, regret and stress.  

So, is it just me?  Do I just lack will power or the determination to succeed? Am I just not prepared to work hard enough to get results?  Is it because I want things my way too much? Or am I not good enough - punching above my weight?  

If you type 'ready to give up' into Google (and I'm sure any other search engines) there are pages and pages of relevant articles and websites - ranging from people who are saying they don't feel they can live their lives anymore, to the ones talking about stress in the workplace and other stuff in between.  There's loads of advice and suggestions - have a look at some!

I don't have the answers to why I feel like I do, however I will try to remember why I started what I've started and why I felt so passionately about it in the first place and re-focus on why it was so important to see if that is still true!


No comments:

Post a Comment