Monday, May 6, 2013

How's your attitude?


It’s your ATTITUDE not your APTITUDE that determines your ALTITUDE

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130501104129-32175171-it-s-your-attitude-not-your-aptitude-that-determines-your-altitude
James Caan has written an article (see link above) about this statement.

I think I have to agree with him. The attitude we have will always make a difference to how we get on in life.  This isn't just about work; I think our attitude is important in all aspects of our lives. 

Someone once told me 'you can do anything you want to do'.  It was an encouragement - meaning if I set my mind to do something and work hard for it, I can achieve it. In no way did it mean I'm brilliant at everything and I can just do it, if only!!  No, it meant my attitude is right to set my focus on something, to learn new things if I have to and to achieve. However, I don't see this as an excuse to not try harder, to improve our skills or to gain knowledge. 

We have to be careful not to become arrogant about our abilities - there's no doubt people in our families or work places who have natural talent for whatever it is that they do and it seems (to us, anyway) that they never really need to try too hard and it all 'just happens' for them.  Maybe that's true - maybe it isn't...but how is their attitude?  Are they boastful or a 'know-it-all' or perhaps they are down to earth, humble and ready to help anyone?  

We can't do anything about other people's attitudes but we can change our own.  Personally, I want to be the best I can be, especially in my job.  I want to do things right, I want to succeed and I want to be recognised for what I do (not sure if that last one is a good thing or not!).  I have dreams and aspirations for my career but along with that, I hope my attitude is right.  

James Caan talks about a 'positive mental attitude' and this is also very important.  I am usually a mix of 'glass half full' and 'glass half empty', some days, if one glass is half empty, then they all are!!!  A positive mental attitude can help us to see the best in everything, it helps us to move forward, to accept change, to learn from past experiences and not be held back by them.     

Let's check our attitudes!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment